Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Personalized Topic Report - How to Measure the ROI of a Digital Strategy

Topic - How to Measure the ROI of a Digital Strategy

This paper on “How to measure the ROI of a digital strategy”


This topic is of particular relevance to me because it the focus of area that Deloitte Digital, within Deloitte Consulting, that I am trying to enter when I return to Deloitte next year.



Define what Digital means

In the first section I am going to focus on defining what some of the terms within “Digital” mean. So far my list includes:
  • Digital
  • Mobile
  • Web
  • Social
  • Digital Content
  • Digital ERP
  • Digital Strategy
Do you have any other words or terms you think I should add to that list?

Business Case for Digital Tools

After I defined what the key terms are for Digital I will develop a business case for using a Digital Tool Kit. People today are constantly “connected” and if a company wants to sell they must embrace and leverage this fact.

I will highlight a few industries i.e. retail, insurance, financial, governments, technology companies, transportation agencies etc…  The goal will be to show how Digital Tools can help these industries; with a focus on what metrics they used to prove success.

The section will contain the following:


   Current business state of digital tools and technologies
   Proposed uses outside current uses
   Options analysis of how to implement the tools

   Outlook for future of Digital tools

Understand Order of Effects


After the reader understands the key digital terms and why digital tools are important and can increase sales I will walk them through the order of effects for a digital tool.




Every tool we develop and use will not lead immediately to a sale, but a sale might a few steps down the line. This is important to realize when evaluating a tool.  The buying experience is like a funnel. It the buying experience more like the traditional?


Or more like this?

Variables That Matter

           
Understanding the importance of variables and how they can and will be different is the next step. Depending on the type of company the goals of their Digital Strategy are different and the variables that are important change from company to company.

Some of the questions I am going to try to answer are: When does a variable matter how much do they really matter? Do the industries have different variables?  Can variables change over the life of the project?

I will focus on to a certain list of industries I feel that can be greatly affected by a Digital Strategy.


Some of the measures I will initially look at are: retail environment, product mix and context.



How Do You Build an ROI Formula


After understanding the key terms within Digital, examining the business case for using a digital tool set, understanding the order of how a user make a purchase with a digital tool set and understanding what the variables are and how they change for industries I will hopefully be able to develop a certain formula of sorts for the ROI of a digital tool set implementation.

I will walk through what it takes to gather the drivers of ROI and examine what it takes to gather the information (experiments and data sources), understand all the information that you are gathering and then how to draw conclusions from that information and how it drives ROI (the holy grail).
Some measures that I think could be the drivers for ROI:

   Get the customer to buy larger purchases
   Get the customer to buy more often
   Get the customer to buy new and higher value products

   Get the customer to share/recommend more often


What virtual tools help drive sales or increase customer satisfaction?
  • Map of the store?
  • Inventory information?
  • Virtual dressing rooms?
  • Social component to share with friends?


Sources

I am planning on reaching out to a few of my Deloitte contacts within Digital to see the current metrics they use but it might be proprietary. In that case I will use industry standards and move forward from there.  Another source I though of is reaching out to people who have spoke at conferences about Digital and how to get an ROI  I am not sure this will be successful but if it is it could be very enlightening to hear directly from industry thought leaders have to say. It is important to also look at the opposite side of ROI and think why people in the industry do not like to use ROI.











1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenny - Since we discussed this in my office, I don't have a lot more to add. I can't think of any other terms that are critical to include, at this point, but will let you know if think of or come across anything that might be helpful. I really like the idea for this topic and think the one area of concern might be that the scope is quite large. But, let's see how it goes as you build an outline - we can always recalibrate from there. Also, you said that you plan to focus on industries that can be greatly affected, but do you have a sense of what those might be yet? You mention retail environment in the variables and I think we discussed retail in my office, so is that the sector you are most considering and/or are there others? Sorry that I cannot remember exactly. And definitely do not feel tied to the "order of effects" term if you find something else that works well - it's just the only term I keep using, for lack of a better one. I might have liked to see you explore the funnel area just a little more here. This will be interesting and, I hope, very helpful to your career!

    ReplyDelete