Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Generative Research

1.
What I can’t Live Without
 First and foremost my family is most important to me and my iPhone/iPad allow me to connect with them on a daily basis.   My family drinks a lot of wine  together and yoga makes me feel good.
 What I care About
I care about having enough money to not worry about it and be able to eat as many red velvet cupcakes and French fries as a I can on a St John USVI beaah.
 2.

 
Add: I would add mobile app media, I look at WSJ and CNN everyday and they lead me to other news sources but they are my starting point.
 1. National Newspapers: For my top methods of consumption for news I use national newspapers online the most, this is because I receive Google alerts for the top 10 hit in the news today for the specified topic to my email address and then I click the links to interesting articles.  Most of the links are to online national newspapers.
 2. Facebook: My second most frequently used new source is Facebook.  Facebook is real time and alerts me of breaking news. From there I click the links to find out more about the news piece.
 3. Web Search: I use web search to support all of my news needs.  After I receive an email alert or notice a trend on Facebook I will web search the topic to find out more. 

3.

1. News and HW:  This is the first thing I do in the mornings.  Once my alarm goes off I reach my phone and see what happened while I was sleeping (news or emails).  After I catch myself up in the mornings on the world and national news I turn on the Today show.  They do a good job of giving me more detail about what is going on in the world while also letting me know about the local Austin news like the weather and traffic.

2. Lunch and Meetings:  I use this time to see what else has happened in the world since my classes have been going on.  I first check my email then my news apps on my iPhone or IPad. I also use this time to talk with friends and learn about what is going on in their lives. There is a broad scope of news that I see at this time period.

3. Homework and Dinner:  While cooking dinner I usually have the news on (local and international). Once I am done with cooking and eating dinner, usually with my roommate I then start my home work for the evening.  At this point I usually have to Google a few topics or news stories to learn more about a subject.  I also have a large breadth of news at this time of day. 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Jenny. I could definitely see some interesting tidbits there that I'd like to ask you more about if you're sitting on the other side of the table. For example, I would definitely ask you more about your indulgences in that first exercise. Those seem important to you (obviously, given the exercise) and I'd love to find out more about when you go for those things - as comfort, as rewards, or other? We all have them (mine are reward indulgences) and it would be helpful in designing the right kind of indulgent experiences - and I'm thinking of food and non-food here. That's all just an example of something that might be interesting as a researcher to dig deeper on.

    ReplyDelete